Facebook

links: homepage - EffectsDatabase

Facebook

Postby RobSpears » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:05 pm

We're going to have to find a new way of communicating. You work hard to build up a base and slowly realize more and more of them are being held hostage to actually be able to share with them. It really is like, "this first one's free" you invest in growing organically and all of a sudden it's like, "if you want more than 5 % of your likes to actually see this, pay here."

I don't think it'd sit so wrong with me if they didn't pass it off as, "we're trying to make things more pertinent for the end user." On my personal page, I'd prefer to hear from the things I clicked like on, rather than things they say I'd like. (from paid ads) So, it's really not, "less spammy."

There's gotta be a better way to engage people.
RobSpears

Re: Facebook

Postby EffectsDatabase » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:29 am

I think they're shooting in their own feet with it (or is that a Dutch/Flemish proverb only?), a lot of smaller brands, fan pages etc will look for an alternative now...
EffectsDatabase
Site Admin

Postby RobSpears » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:41 pm

def. I think I'm more frustrated with the principle of the matter. I can see them monetizing new likes that they help you get or something comparable. But letting you build a following and then going, "now, if you'd like to talk to them." I think facebook's hitting it's peak soon and people are just around till the next big thing really hits. Once your grandmother's on a site, you know it's getting close to people moving on.

'Shooting themselves in the foot,' holds in the usa also.
RobSpears

Postby EffectsDatabase » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:33 pm

I wish Google stopped screwing up with Google+, then there would be a decent alternative already...

Design is not great, no API to automatically post from other apps/sites,... And the longer it takes the more people already know it as a failure :D
EffectsDatabase
Site Admin

Postby 0xdfx » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:02 am

I didn't know that about FB but can't say I'm surprised. The last 18 months they have been slowly taking out anything good and replacing it with intrusive shite. My news feed is less and less relevant and more and more filled with adverts from things I don't like or have an interest in, and frankly I have no time for it. I think selling so much ad space was shortsighted greed and will be their downfall. Also, their policy of sneaking in features turned on that could be classed as an invasion of privacy is sinister. I agree, they've peeked. Maybe social media isn't future proof either - a large proportion of my real life friends at least have become jaded with it and communicate in email and text again
0xdfx

Return to Juliet Collective