[Pedal] RAT LED not working - time for some mods

Can be split up once there are more posts.
(lounge / effects / amps / vintage / ???)

RAT LED not working - time for some mods

Postby Lefty Geek » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:55 pm

The LED on my US-made early 2000s RAT pedal hasn't worked in quite some time. Since I will be working on my RAT, I figured it would be a good time for some mods.

I don't particularly like to solder and I have never done so on a pedal. How easy are the existing RAT mods? I'm a better off paying Keeley $65 (+ shipping) for the mods? I am assuming that since he replaces the LED, I won't have to pay extra to fix my LED. Does anyone else do mods?

[I posted this earlier on another forum, but then I discovered this site. Looking to get back into pedals, so I am glad I found this place.]
Lefty Geek

Re: RAT LED not working - time for some mods

Postby Stroboscapes » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:02 pm

I think you should go for it yourself. But first try to solder a few cables or components to a perfboard if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. The RAT mods aren't that difficult to do if I recall, and once you get the hang of that you'll save a ton of money on future mods. That's how I started, and I don't think I'd ever have half the pedals I do now, if I had gone buying originals instead of building them myself. That said, I think $65 for the mods is a bit much, but then again Keeley has a reputation so I guess it's justified. But I believe you could get a cheaper solution if you try it yourself!
Stroboscapes

Postby Disarm D'arcy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:48 pm

+1, so many mods are documented so well that after building up your experience with the tools needed, you should be able to do it yourself.
Disarm D'arcy

Postby Lefty Geek » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:29 pm

My only soldering tasks were pickups and pots. I am assuming circuit boards are far less tolerant.

I have no intention of every building pedals. My time is far too limited. Less time tweaking = more time playing.
Lefty Geek

Postby Black Arts Mark » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:40 pm

There are some VERY simple mods to do to your rat. The board is less tolerant to hamfisted modifications, but it is totally do able with a bit of discerning planning/forethought.

Courtesy of BeavisAudio, two great mods.
The Ruetz mod and the OD/Clipping mods are simple to do and very effective.
http://www.beavisaudio.com/projects/FKR ... rMouse.gif

M
Black Arts Mark

Postby SynapticGroove » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:00 pm

+1 on all the above mentions. A modded RAT is indeed an awesome pedal. With a little bit of tweaking, it is a force to reckon with. Scofield used to use one with the filter dimed as a clean boost! :)
co-founder/designer
SynapticGroove
www.synapticgroove.com
SynapticGroove

Return to Main Forum